WP4 brings together five use cases that cover the patient’s trajectory from cancer prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and medical management:
- Cancer risk identification and prevention by linking environmental data to cancer registry data
- Data-driven optimisation of cancer screening programmes
- Data-driven treatment selection for localised tumours with multiple patient-derived data types
- Data-driven treatment selection for localised tumour: improving the treatment of colorectal cancer by the inclusion of circulating DNA information
- Connecting omics data from multiple sources to a Clinical Decision Support System (CDSS) for precision treatment of metastatic colorectal cancer
Every step of the patient’s encounter with the use cases leaves a trail of data. These data are systematically organised and made relevant for use in translational research, medical practice, and health outcomes. We have chosen colorectal cancer as a working case for representing a tumour type with abundant data and ample cross border collaborations.
EOSC4Cancer sustains a robust infrastructure for knowledge and data bases. Accessibility, integration, and analysis of data across borders among researchers and healthcare professionals will leverage progress in health outcomes.
Cancer has a very complex nature and requires advanced and updated knowledge and practice rooted in strong medical research (evidence-based medicine). Hence, with high-quality cancer data across Europe, more efficient biological and technical innovations will reach the citizens of the EU.
This work package is led by STICHTING HET NEDERLANDS KANKER INSTITUUT-ANTONI VAN LEEUWENHOEK ZIEKENHUIS.